I wasn’t totally enthusiastic about this topic when I drafted this post but once the ball got rolling it didn’t take long for me to come up with ten! I guess I have a lot of things that I like to whine about when it comes to books/reading! 😂
- Books that promise one thing and it’s not delivered or something different is delivered: It’s so frustrating when you’re expecting one thing and it’s not delivered or something completely different is delivered, whether it’s the genre, trope, character arc, etc. This has happened a few times with poorly marketed books!
- When an anticipated read disappoints you: Isn’t it the worst when you’re looking forward to a book so much and when you finally read it it’s not at all what you expected and you don’t like it at all? I think it’s even worse when others loved it as much as you thought you would and you wonder if you’re even reading the same book!
- Love Triangles: I know people say love triangles are okay when done well but I just don’t like them at all. The angst and the pain and someone is gonna lose and it’s gonna suck and it’s not my jam 😂
- The Surprise Pregnancy: This is a more recent peeve for me. I think that it can still be done in a decent way but it’s still a trope that I prefer to not read about and I find it annoying when I’m really enjoying a romance and then… BOOM! Baby on the way. Eh! 🤷🏻♀️
- Dreaded miscommunication: Same feels as above, especially when I’m enjoying a book and I like the characters and then the miscommunication happens! I want to shake characters that decide they know everything that went wrong without talking to each other and even worse when the miscommunication isn’t even hashed out in the end and suddenly everything’s just “perfect” again! 🙈
- Unnecessary drama/conflict: I don’t like it when drama or a conflict is introduced just because or when it could have so easily been avoided. Please, stop. 🙄
- Unremovable cover stickers: All kinds of cover stickers but especially those that are fake and when they’re promoting another book or the show/movie! We don’t need to see it on the cover especially when the cover is gorgeous! 🙈
- Cover changes mid-series: I don’t mind this if I haven’t bought any of the books yet but if I have then it’s so frustrating! Why you do this to us?
- Different size editions in a series from the same publisher: Similar to the above but when a book in the series is a different size from the previous one even though they’re by the same publisher. This has only happened to me a few times but it happened more recently and I find it annoying cos I thought they’d match perfectly on my shelf! 😂
- People that get annoyed when I get annoyed at being interrupted while reading: This happens a surprising amount especially with my family and I don’t get why people don’t see why I get upset when they bother me while I’m reading. They think I’m being ridiculous but… No, please!
What are some of your bookish pet peeves? Can you relate to any of mine?