We’ve now started the first full week of January and I was debating whether to even make a December monthly wrap-up post because I’m lazy but I already did the End of Year Survey: Parts I, II & III, but I thought let’s just get it done with so… Here we are 🤪
December was both so slow and too fast and it was honestly a bit of a “surreal” month. I found myself struggling even more to stay motivated at work especially since everyone was going off on holidays and I was one of the few that stayed on until the very last day of the year. I did have a lot of wrapping up to do as I was also ending my full-time work contract and with no one around to really hand things off to, it was a bit more hectic than anticipated.
For the most part, I played a lot of Animal Crossing, read a few books and generally tried to not give in to my desire to retreat into ultimate cave-reading mode too often (especially since I still had work to do)! LOL 😂 I did get my Owlcrate mid-December and the merch and book were gorgeous–I absolutely loved it! My favourite items are the planner+stickers, the monthly pin and of course, the book itself!
In December, I read 18 books! They were a pretty good mix of fantasy and romance, although I did manage to sneak in a non-fiction and some literary/contemporary fiction as well. Despite being excited to read more holiday romances, I only ended up reading two, but I might read one or two more in January but that’s also a big might. As you’ll see in my wrap up although I’ve been reading, what I haven’t been doing is writing reviews immediately. I’m so behind and really need to catch up 😂
I loved many of my December reads and despite a few exceptions, most of them were 4-5 stars, so I would defo say it was a successful month for reading! I had two five star reads in December and they were (obviously) my faves: Bad Blood and Amari and the Night Brothers. They’re two very different books but both are equally amazing and I would highly recommend them!
Book covers are linked to Goodreads and the text is linked to my reviews, if available!
5 panda stars
4.5 panda stars
4 panda stars
Love Thy Neighbor (Roommate Romps #2)
The Bitterwine Oath
Big Girl, Small Town
Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology #1)
Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology #2)
Subversive (Clandestine Magic #1)
The Existence of Amy
3.5 panda stars
In Pursuit of Happiness
The Little Swiss Ski Chalet
3 panda stars
2 panda stars
I really sucked with keeping track and keeping up with a lot of posts in December because of work and the sheer exhaustion I felt at the end of every day. I’m sorry, I know it’s a shite excuse. I really hope that with starting part-time work in 2021 I’ll be able to have a lot more time to sit down and read more posts because all of you are brilliant!
- Jawahir The Bookworm wrote a really fun post pairing books with tea!
- Lorraine @ Geeky Galaxy did a fun Spotify Wrapped Book Tag!
- Abby @ Beyond the Read shares her most anticipated 2021 releases and my TBR grew a lot 😂
- A Rambling Reviewer shared a relatable post about not meeting your resolutions — and why it doesn’t matter.
- Lisa @ Way Too Fantasy talks about why she’s giving up reading challenges in 2021 and if that ain’t a mood after 2020 I don’t know what is 🤣
- LaRonda @ Flying Paperbacks shared a list of black romances that got her through quarantine– a great list if you’re looking to diversify your romances!
- Jessica @ Odd and Bookish shared a guest post with author Belinda Lei on the importance of having a diverse bookshelf 😍
- Malka @ Paper Procrastinators shared a thought-provoking discussion post on what defines a favourite.
- Holly @ Nut Free Nerd wrote a beautiful review for Northanger Abbey. Holly formats her reviews as letters to the books and they’re so fantastic, you should check them out!
- Kristin @ Kristin Craves Books shared a list of her most anticipated adult romances of 2021 and if you’re a romance lover like me, prepare for your TBR to grow a lot! 😂
So that’s a wrap on the last month of 2020! What a year it has been and I’m glad that I at least ended it on a higher note in terms of reading! Although it wasn’t the ‘best’ month in terms of #s, it was definitely the best in terms of ratings!